Tim Burton has dropped out of directing Angelina Jolie as the evil Maleficent in a “Sleeping Beauty” adaptation.
The filmmaker planned to put his Gothic twist on the story of the evil witch after his “Alice in Wonderland” adventure was a huge success for Disney last year.
Jolie was eager to play the fairy-tale villain after learning Burton was to helm the project, saying, “Tim Burton, the chance to work with him would be extraordinary.” But, according to The Hollywood Reporter, the film is now without a director after Burton decided to focus on his pet project “Frankenweenie” for the studio instead.
The publication reports that David Yates, who has directed the last four “Harry Potter” films, is in the running to take over.
- Tom Long: Prime Potter: ‘Hallows’ never dawdles as Harry goes out on a high note
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, in theaters July 15!
- Emma, Dan and Rupert : My, How They’ve Grown (Photos)
- Team Starkid Performs Harry Potter Hits at Weekend Convention
- Johnny Depp drops out of Whitey Bulger biopic